Fuel up to Play 60

Fuel Up to Play 60 Kids with Chicago Bears

Happy Birthday to Fuel Up To Play 60!

Five years ago, Fuel Up to Play 60 (FUTP 60) was established by America’s dairy farmers (through the National Dairy Council®) and the National Football League. It is now the the nation’s largest in-school health and wellness program. The U.S. Department of Agriculture supports the program’s health and wellness goals. 

FUTP 60 empowers students to increase opportunities to be physically active and choose tasty, nutrient-rich foods, such as low-fat and fat-free milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, vegetables and whole grains. 

More than 73,000 schools (representing three-fourths of all U.S. schools) and 38 million students have been helped to choose good-for-you foods and get 60 minutes of play a day.


All 32 NFL teams have activated FUTP 60 in their markets to reward students and schools for making healthy choices, using the NFL’s physical fitness legacy and star power to heighten interest and participation. 

Some of the nation’s most credible and influential health organizations, including the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Association/Foundation and the School Nutrition Association, endorse FUTP 60. 

To learn more, visit Fuel Up To Play 60 or check out their Facebook and Twitter profiles.

fuel-up-to-play-60-player-meal

Madison Station Elementary School (Madison, MS)

Madison Station wanted to get students to become more active through in-class brain breaks and new programs to encourage simultaneous learning and movement.

RESULTS: The school taught all 1,000 students how to drum for a program called Drums Alive, during which students get moving and review math facts while they drum. Outstanding student leaders choreograph moves for everyone to do while they drum.

Partnering with the middle school dance and cheer squads, they’ve raised awareness of the importance of physical activity among the student body. They also partner with a local health club and tennis club to provide after-school activities for students.

The school had a 3% increase in the number of President's Challenge National Winners from 2011-2012 to 2012-2013. The percentage of total fitness winners remained the same at 47%, and the school’s goal is 50%.

fuel-up-to-play-60-drinking

Brawley Elementary School – Charlotte, NC

Fuel Up to Play 60 Program Advisor Mary Shalvey at Brawley Elementary in Charlotte NC was concerned about one student’s health. From there she created a non-traditional fitness program called “Interactive Health” to teach lifetime fitness skills.

While all students take the required PE classes, on alternate days, some students enroll in interactive health, an elective which is so popular that many students volunteer just to participate.

RESULTS: During 2012-2013 school year, 29% of students lost weight, 75% improved on lean muscle mass, 75% lowered their BMI and 99% improved their mile times. 40% of students also improved their GPAs.

fuel-up-to-play-60-smiling-kids

Glenn R. Marshall Elementary School – Richmond, KY

Using stability balls in the classroom, the school conducted a study with all the second grade students to research improved student behavior and improvement in student learning. The goal was to also provide more movement breaks for students.

RESULTS: Students are more focused and alert when they are learning. Student behavior has also improved.