Executive Director – Dairy Farmers of Washington
Dairy Farmers of Washington, a self-governing agency of the State of Washington that champions, promotes, and gives voice to the products, businesses, and organizations that support Washington State dairy is seeking a highly motivated business professional to lead our promotional organization. One of our current focus areas is finding inventive ways to share science-based information with consumers and stakeholders. As the second largest agricultural commodity in our state, it’s important for consumers to understand the contribution family-owned dairy farms make to Washington’s economy and our local communities. In addition, we’re turning our focus to global markets and partnering with more businesses to promote the amazing products made right here at home.
The Executive Director will provide strategic leadership, direction, inspiration, and support by working with the Board of Directors and staff to establish long range goals, strategies, plans, and policies. S/he will secure support and funding from various sources in order to ensure the continued sustainability of Dairy Farmers of Washington.
Additionally, the Executive Director will provide representation on behalf of Dairy Farmers of Washington in dealings with:
▪ Dairy Management, Inc. (DMI)
▪ National Dairy Board (NDB)
▪ United Dairy Industry Association, Inc. (UDIA)
▪ Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP)
▪ Other State & Regionals (Oregon, Dairy West and others)
▪ Processors based in the State of Washington or that have plants in the State
▪ The State of Washington and its agencies; secure support and funding from state funding boards where available.
▪ Other organizations, task forces, committees, individuals, and the general public
Provide strong leadership in the following areas:
▪ Foster an organizational culture emphasizing teamwork, flexibility, and communication.
▪ Plan, develop and establish policies and objectives of the organizations in accordance with Board directives and the Unified Marketing Plan (UMP) – collaborate throughout the federation -- One Team, One Plan, One Voice.
▪ Maximize results by developing organizational plans and budgets to ensure effective utilization of dairy farmer sourced funding. (DFW is an agricultural-based check-off program)
▪ Act as personnel manager – including all hiring and talent management-related activities
▪ Develop and administer Board of Director approved personnel policies to meet requirements of state and federal laws
▪ Evaluate employee benefits packages for recommendations to the Board of Directors
▪ Complete salary survey and recommend compensation schedule to the Board of Directors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective leadership abilities.
- Excellence in interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and making effective presentations to internal and external partners and executives.
- Knowledge and understanding of advanced financial and management accounting principles, methods, and practices.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Ability to compile, analyze, interpret, and present complex annual financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Skill in business and financial planning.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and details simultaneously, while modeling flexibility as part of a goal-oriented team.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Commitment to ethical conduct.
- Exceptional business and team leadership; able to instill a culture of operational excellence.
- Ability and/or experience in grant writing and fundraising.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in marketing, sales, economics, and/ or dairy/agricultural promotion with 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- Consumer products experience preferred.
- Familiarity with dairy industry preferred.
- Able to drive a vehicle with a current and valid license.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools as well as Accounting Software
- The position is based out of the Lynwood office (< 1-hour drive from Seattle and Redmond) however, work is also performed on dairy farms, at agricultural tradeshows, and in other outside environments. Tolerance of odors and environmental conditions are necessary.
- The Executive Director shall also be available on an on-call basis as needed, including nights and weekends.
- Local, multi-state, and national traveling is frequently required. Travel out of the U.S. will occur occasionally.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our current business needs. Thank you.
Dairy Farmers of Washington is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.