SVP Nutrition Research
The SVP develops the strategic plan for nutrition research, with input from the nutrition research advisory committee, DMI staff, dairy/food processors, and other sources. Manages daily execution of the Nutrition Research program. Provides technical expertise and counsel to the organization in the areas of nutrition and health, with emphasis on impact to the dairy industry. Integrates within the Sustainable Nutrition Affairs and Sustainable Nutrition Research teams. Ensures research outcomes from the program are communicated to DMI innovation center, communication, regulatory staff and State/Regional staff. Serves as an internal and external resource on nutrition science issues.
Manage daily execution of the overall strategic plan for Nutrition research to meet the business needs of DMI and US dairy industry. Example of activities:
Oversees daily administration of the nutrition research program staff & consultants to ensure delivery of results against goals in a timely manner and against budget
- Ensures peer review of all research projects to fund projects of the highest scientific merit and provides project funding recommendations.
- Oversees research contracting process, as appropriate.
- Ensures transfer of research program outcomes to appropriate DMI programs, Regulatory Affairs and Innovation Center staff.
- Participates in building partnerships with other dairy organizations, industry, government, and research groups.
Develop strategic plan for nutrition and sustainable nutrition research which leads to the discovery, interpretation and dissemination of dairy sustainable nutrition science to meet the business needs of DMI and the U.S. dairy industry. Example of activities:
Provide strategic development of the overall goals, strategies and tactical elements of nutrition research plan.
- Provide input into plan budgets and prioritization to meet the needs of DMI and its partners.
- Ensure that these plans are carried out efficiently and effectively, meeting budgetary and timeliness commitments.
- Supports the Innovation Center Sustainable Nutrition Committee to ensure flow of information between the committee and the research program.
- Provides scientific expertise and support to assigned DMI programs outside of nutrition and environmental research, as appropriate.
- Presents elements of the nutrition and environmental research program plan or program updates to the Board of Directors, Innovation Center staff or DMI working groups, as appropriate.
- Seeks for opportunities to leverage dairy farmer and industry funding for research.
Supervise, coach, appraise, and train staff. Example of activities:
Conducts yearly performance appraisals of staff.
- Provides feedback and coaches staff.
- Provides for corrective action for both staff and vendors.
- Provides developmental training and guidance for staff.
Participate with scientific groups and attend/present at appropriate meetings/conferences to learn and educate on dairy nutrition and sustainable nutrition science issues
- Act as NDC dairy science spokesperson and dairy nutrition and sustainable nutrition science subject matter expert
Education & Experience: Doctorate in nutrition, biochemistry, or related field. Ten + years industry experience in the development and management of nutrition research or a strong academic background with a proven track record in nutrition research, strategic planning and team building.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:Teamwork and customer service orientation required. Candidate must be highly skilled in oral and written communications. Must possess ability to lead a group and work with others in pursuit of a vision through interpersonal skills, issue sensitivity, problem solving, facilitation, leadership and negotiation. Must have strong technical skills including research design, statistical analysis, and interpretation of scientific research. Training in strategic planning. Media training is a plus.
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 37,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase
sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in
dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association,
and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for
U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
National Dairy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.