Manager Regulatory Affairs
This individual will support daily Regulatory Affairs program activities, working with a team of regulatory, nutrition and product scientists, to educate thought leaders and the dairy community about dairy foods in the health and wellness marketplace and dietary guidance. Leads review of science-based nutrition communication materials for external audiences to ensure consistency, accuracy and alignment with government regulations. Evaluates NHANES data for dairy insights and research opportunities. Interacts across the organization, including with Research, Integrated Communications, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, GENYOUth, Schools, Fuel Up To Play 60 teams.
Review National Dairy Council (NDC) science-based nutrition communication materials developed for external audiences to ensure materials are accurate, consistent, scientifically supported, and aligned with government regulations and policy.
Manage the Regulatory Affairs nutrition communications review website, which includes:
- ensuring the website is regularly updated and organized
- ensuring reviews are completed and returned in a timely manner
- assisting the dairy community with preparing submissions for review
- Lead reviews of science-based nutrition communication materials for various audiences, including science summaries, fact sheets, blog posts, public comments, infographics, etc.
- Engage other NDC experts, including staff in Nutrition Research, Product Development, Environmental Research, as needed, in the review process.
- Develop new and update existing internal scientific guidance materials on key dairy topics to identify messaging and support review of science-based communication materials
- Monitor the regulatory environment to maintain awareness of regulatory initiatives and changes that may impact dairy in the marketplace or dietary guidance
Lead development of science-based written resources to educate thought leaders and dairy stakeholders about dairy in the health and wellness marketplace
- Evaluate nutrition research and national diet survey data (NHANES) to identify marketing opportunities for dairy foods and ingredients and develop peer-reviewed publications about dairy’s role in dietary guidance.
- Translate dairy-relevant nutrition science and regulatory topics into educational resources to educate thought leader audiences, including health professionals, scientists, and food industry professionals about dairy’s role in the diet and/or labeling opportunities. Materials may include science substantiation documents, fact sheets, slide decks, infographics, etc.
Support Scientific & Regulatory Affairs daily activities
Serve as a resource on dairy-related regulatory and scientific topics for internal teams, e.g., Global Sustainable Nutrition and Research, Integrated Communications, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, or State/Regions, including answering information requests and providing message/reference guidance
- Conduct internal training for NDC staff to promote importance and awareness of review process and to address new regulatory or policy topics of relevance to dairy
- Provide support and guidance to the Integrated Communication team for communications efforts to promote new research or events in the food and nutrition policy and regulatory landscape, including authoring blogs, writing internal summaries of new research publications or changes in the regulatory environment, developing slide decks, etc.
Promote dairy-related scientific research
- Author scientific papers, reviews, and present at scientific meetings as appropriate
- Represent dairy industry at meetings of authoritative organizations such as ASN, IFT, FDA, NASEM, and write up meeting summaries including dairy implications.
Education & Experience: Ph.D. in nutrition, biology, biochemistry or related field, with 1+ years of industry
experience. M.S. in nutrition or related field with strong scientific translation ability and 3+ years of industry
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in regulatory topics: support of claims and product labeling
- Analytical and technical skills and attention to detail essential
- Competency in leadership, facilitation, negotiation, teamwork and customer focus
- Experience in nutrition research and applications of outcomes for industry
- Experience with NHANES data a plus
- Travel approximately 10% of time
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s
41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase
sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through
research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in
dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National
Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association,
and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for
U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional
promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who
most closely match our requirements.
National Dairy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by