Summer Internship in Global Sustainable Nutrition Affairs and Research
The Dairy community’s health and sustainability commitment has a broad vision to provide consumers with the nutritious dairy products they want in a way that is economically viable, environmentally sound, and socially responsible.
National Dairy Council (NDC) is offering a paid, three-month Sustainable Nutrition Internship, to support emerging leaders in health and sustainable food systems. The intern will help NDC integrate our existing knowledge of nutrition, sustainability and the dairy industry and help identify future areas for research, education and engagement. The intern will gain a deep understanding of the role fairy foods play as part of sustainable foods systems.
The intern will work under the umbrella of the Global Sustainable Nutrition Affairs & Research team. This impressive team is made up of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists and scientists who are seen as dairy subject matter experts and as thought leaders in their respective fields. This is a paid, full-time position over the summer.
Internship focus areas include:
- Sustainable nutrition
- Food Systems
- Nutrition communications
- Additional nutrition-focused competencies required by applicant’s academic program will be met on a project-by-project basis
The intern will be exposed to a variety of career development opportunities, including leadership, personal branding, social media and other career enhancing workshops and trainings and opportunities for interacting with the farmers through on-the-farm experience(s).
May include work with a cross-functional team and support reputational thought leaders (Registered Dietitians, Medical Doctors, Fitness Professionals, Food Security organizations, Culinary, International) to build trust in dairy's contributions to health and sustainable food systems
- Support creation of communication and educational materials for health and wellness professionals and other stakeholders, aligned with business priorities
- Develop presentations related to health and sustainable food systems
- Assist with coordination of an immersion event with thought leaders around the topics of sustainable nutrition
- Provide support for NDC presence at key food and nutrition conferences
- Communicate with all levels of DMI staff, as well as the dairy and scientific communities
- Evaluate emerging research and translate for a variety of audiences
- Specific projects will be assigned based on the priorities above and the candidate’s professional and developmental interests. This is a full-time position based in Chicago
- Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Science
- In progress Master’s in Dietetics, Nutrition, Public Health, Agriculture or another relevant field
- Students should be eligible to work in the U.S. without requiring visa sponsorship now or in the future
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) or RDN eligible
- Completed Master’s degree in Dietetics, Nutrition, Public Health, Agriculture or another relevant field
- Experience in food systems-related work, public health, food security, global health
- Experience in social media, educational resource development, professional presentation development
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of issues in sustainable nutrition, especially as they impact vulnerable and underserved communities, public health, college students, and the agriculture sector
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communications/writing skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work, exercise sound judgment, and make decisions independently
- Competency in leadership, facilitation, negotiation and teamwork
All candidates will be asked to complete an assignment along with submitting a resume and a cover letter.
Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2019 and eligible candidates will be invited for a web-based interview.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
Competitive compensation and a collaborative culture.
Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra.
We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
National Dairy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assignment– Add the essays, optional information, and letter of recommendation to your CV/resume and/or Cover Letter. Another option is to send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “GSNAR Summer Internship 2019 Attachments” in the Subject Line
Essay One: Why is the NDC Summer Internship is your program of choice? (250 words)
Essay Two: Why are you a good candidate for the NDC Summer Internship? Please include information about your commitment to advancing your career in sustainable nutrition and food systems? (500 words)
Optional: If there is any important information relevant to your candidacy you were unable to address elsewhere in the application process, please share that information here. (250 words maximum)
Additionally, please include one letter of recommendation.