Vice President-Product Research
Vice President-Product Research (Rosemont, IL)
The purpose of this position is to lead and manage National Dairy Council (NDC) product research programs that support Dairy Management Inc. (i.e. Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, U.S. Dairy Export Council, Global Innovation Partnerships, Global Sustainable Nutrition Affairs and Research) and its’ partners short and long-term goals. Provide technical expertise and counsel to the organization in the areas of dairy science, product and process technology, dairy product quality and safety. Ensure research outcomes from the program are communicated to NDC partners and the dairy industry. Serve as an internal and external resource on product science and technology issues/opportunities.
Develop, manage and execute the plan for Product Research programs in 1) cheese and cultured dairy products, 2) fluid milk and dairy beverages, and 3) applications, education and training which lead to the discovery, interpretation and dissemination of product science and technology to meet the needs of DMI and U.S. dairy industry.
- Design and implement appropriate product research projects at universities and research laboratories
- Manage funded research programs which involves monitoring progress of research projects through review of scientific and financial reports, and review of manuscripts, abstracts, publications, etc. generated from research
- Manage the scientific peer review of new and existing competitive product research in various programs
- Build relationships with dairy industry leaders and dairy researchers
Conduct strategic planning and build partnerships for Product Research in program areas to increase dairy innovation and consumption.
- Gain stakeholder input including Dairy Farmers, DMI business units, state and regional organizations, dairy industry that includes end users, processors and suppliers, Universities and government organizations
- Develop product research funding proposals and presentations (as needed) for partners
- Build and nurture partnerships to grow R&D investment in dairy foods research
- Communicate key research outcomes to farmers, staff and member units to assist in planning
Provide support to U.S. Dairy Export Council / Global Innovation Partnership team / Global Sustainable Nutrition Affairs and Research / Innovation Center / by delivering technical insights and activating research to improve global competitiveness.
- Provide strategic leadership and input into partnership needs and proactively identify opportunities to translate product research outcomes for activation with partners
- Ensure that program outcomes are communicated to appropriate stakeholders
Provide leadership to support product research activation and communication plans. Example of activities:
- Manage product research intellectual property assets
- Package research to enable technology transfer and activation
- Communicate key research outcomes to DMI staff, industry, industry partners, and scientific communities, as appropriate. Write and present results and technical information at scientific and trade meetings.
- Promote scientific research which supports dairy products in the market through representing dairy industry at scientific meetings and reviewing communications/advertising for technical accuracy, as appropriate.
Education & Experience: Doctorate or Master’s degree in Dairy Science, Food Science, or related field (preferred) or
Bachelor of Science degree in Dairy Science, Food Science, or related field with significant industry experience
(Fifteen years + industry experience in the development and management of product research, dairy technology or
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Teamwork and customer service orientation required. Candidate must be highly skilled in oral and written communications. Must possess ability to lead a group and work with others in pursuit of a vision through interpersonal skills, issue sensitivity, problem solving, facilitation, leadership and negotiation. Must have strong technical skills including research design, statistical analysis, and interpretation of scientific research. Training in strategic planning and media is a plus.
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O’Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.™ (DMI) is funded by America’s 41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association, and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who
most closely match our requirements.
Dairy Management Inc.™ is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.